June 25, 2012

Spam

I know, you might think that I've ran out of ideas because I'm writing about something so mainstream in the world of SEO. Give me a chance here, because there was one time when I asked myself why is a ton of misleading messages online and the repetition of sending these messaged called as such.
SPAM
 How can something that a lot of people eat be associated with tons of garbage-like messages online-- Oh, wait.

So I "asked" Google, why is spam called spam? I found a few websites just talking about the food. I found out that it's short for "spiced ham" or "shoulder of pork and ham". The latter was really surprising, though. I really don't know what made me want to search for the true meaning of spam. Must be the surge of people talking about how the recent Google updates are killing their websites.

I went through some forums and searched for people who may have talked about this in the past. Apparently, none of those forums had anything about the reason why the called spam as, well, spam. So I had to look harder on Google and found something about it. Guess what, it gave me an incredible last song syndrome.

I saw the true reason why spam was the word used to describe those messages that didn't make any sense at all. You can take a look at Time Magazine's page about A Brief History of Internet Spam. I read through the article and saw this link that leads to a YouTube video. The anchor text that they used was Monty Python sketch. To be honest, I don't know a lot about Monty Python. I've only heard of the name from some people. Anyway, I took a look at the video and, as I've said, it gave me a bad case of LSS. Since I want to share the syndrome with you, here's the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment